[TowerTalk] antennas in trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antennas in trees
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:34:45 -0000
This thread has gone on for a while...I last commented when
I was in Asia, and now I'm home.  Can't believe it's still going on.

If anyone still cares, there are three truths which emerged in
the discussion...and possibly got lost in the verbiage:

1)  Forests are too complex to model, in terms of their impact
on antennas.  The modelling tools we have available can't hope
to deal with the large number of variables presented.

2)  A well modelled antenna doesn't perform any better than one
which isn't modelled at all.  It's just better understood.

3)  An antenna in the air works better than a model in a computer.
Just put the bloody thing up, and see how it plays!

        If it sucks, and you think modelling will improve the situation,
have at it.  If it plays well, and you think modelling will improve the
situation, or tell you why, knock yourself out.

As my old economics professor used to say, "those exogenous variables will
get you every time."

N2EA