Re: [TowerTalk] Hi Power lines - interference

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hi Power lines - interference
From: Bud Rogers <budr@netride.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:17:55 -0500
On Thursday 23 September 2004 19:48, Jim Miller wrote:
> I have some land in the country that has high power lines along one
> side.  I don't know the voltage but there are three lines and they
> are suspended from a crossbar mounted between and extended beyond
> pairs of large wooden poles if that helps understand the voltage
> carried.  Also, I haven't measured it but I'm sure there is at least
> 12 foot separation between the lines on the crossbar (24 ft between
> the outside two).

Hi Jim,

What you are describing sounds like a transmission line.  They are
typically 69KV and above.  From your description I would guess the line
is 138KV or 230KV.

> My question is whether they will bother communications on HF or VHF
> if I were to put up my towers there.  The optimum location due to the
> lay of the land would be about 50 yards.  100 yards would be possible
> but require longer feed lines.  Comments?

Transmission lines are generally maintained to a higher standard than
local distribution lines.  There will probably be some noise on the
lower HF bands, but if the line is well maintained it will not be
serious.  You will probably notice some difference depending on whether
you antennas are parallel with the line or not.  I doubt you'll have
much noise at VHF and above.

Bud Rogers  <budr@netride.net>  KD5SZ  EM05vb