[TowerTalk] Guy Angles for my Small Property

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Angles for my Small Property
From: "Jason Dugas" <kb5urq@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:59:12 -0500
Hello to the Group,

I got as far as actually having manufactured my guy anchors and then realized
that I was going to have MAJOR trouble getting all my guy wires to fit on my
property.  I have read with interest the discussions concerning varying
distances from tower base to guy anchors, and I just didn't want to get into
all that with my set up.

So I got on Excel and developed a set of equations which fully describes the
guy lengths and angles based on an initial position of the first guy & assuming
that all other guys are spaced 120 degrees from the other.

What I came up with was still a little outside of the Rohn spec, but I wanted
to pose it to the group for comments.  Essentially, for a 50 foot tower (my
tower height), Rohn does use the 80% rule with respect to the ratio of distance
from the base to height of the tower.

Basically, mine has been cut down to the 60% range.  Just curious if others use
the 60% ratio and if that would be acceptable.  I would be happy to say good
bye to my tower in 80mph winds, but I'd like it to stand up in 30 or 40 mph
gusts!!

Also, at what angle & tensions do I have to start worrying about actually
collapsing the tower due to excessively low ratios?  What are my tradeoffs,
assuming I actually have my 120-degree spacing between anchors?

Thanks,

Jason
KB5URQ