RE: [TowerTalk] CushCraft Antenna measurements issues A3S

To: "'Clary, Steve'" <Steve_Clary@URMC.Rochester.edu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] CushCraft Antenna measurements issues A3S
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:29:16 -0700
Steve,

Just happen to be working on the same project myself at the
moment. Took down my 12 year old A3S to refurbish it and add
the 40 meter kit I acquired ten years ago while "horse
trading". You are right the instruction sheet could use
improvement. The QST review of the kit in March 1982 even
mentions that.

My observations follow:

First issue - My overall length for the driven element is
within 1/2 inch of what the chart says it should be for the
CW segment that I'm targeting. If looking for an error the
first place I would check is to make sure you got the "A2"
dimension correct. Note that it is measured from the CENTER
of the boom not the side. I missed that detail the first
time I put the antenna together. The other elements are also
within an inch or so. I guess I was willing to call that
close enough and instead rely on fine tuning it with the SWR
reading being what really matters.

Second issue - Another place where better pictures or even a
few words would have helped. Yes, the bracket gets mounted
under the hose clamp at the end of the tapered section of
the TK trap . My trap only measures 8 3/4" long from the end
of the trap to the end of the tube. However if you install
the angle bracket so its short end is pointing towards the
trap and the hat elements are mounted on the outside toward
the element tip then you do end up with the hat 9" away from
the trap end.

Hope this helps.

73
Patrick