Re: [TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:39:13 +0000
Oh boy - plenty to read in the digest this morning...

A preamp designed for being used mounted at the mast, but is not, looks
kind of like incorrect use of the product, though one may think it okay.

Something about having some length of feeder before the preamp having
some effect on the RF detection doesn't make much sense, but this method
of switching is problematic by definition.

Maybe there is something else to this & we are all missing it in K9YC's
specific setup, but serious preamps of the like from ARR are best hard
switched & sequenced properly.  And common sense also says that
unnecessary T/R switches should be avoided, so no VOX.

That we do not hear from a number of people about RF-switched ARRs
failing a lot does tend to suggest there may be something about the
specific installation in Jim's case.

The only preamps I have lost were in the shack & nothing outside was left
to decide when to switch on its own - sadly, none from ARR as they were a
bit too dear for me.

73, VR2BrettGraham