Re: [TowerTalk] new Steppir antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new Steppir antenna
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:00:27 +0000
N6RK replied to W6RMK:

I wanted to modify a 2 element SteppIR Yagi (the regular one)
for 30 meters (as a dipole).  Since I would be running only 100 watts, the
voltage was "only" a coupla thousand volts.  The scheme might
have been workable (not easy but workable) if it weren't for
the 25 pF of shunt capacitance.  With a couple of thousand
volts across this "capacitor", the "dielectric" would probably
be toast.

Put some end loading on the SteppIR, using something like those rods that Cushcraft has on the base of the R5 & R7. Replace the plastic end bit on the end of the BeCu strip with a spring that is electrically connected to the strip, so when cranked out to below 14 Mc, the spring can push up against something connected to the rods & bingo, rotary dipole reasonant somewhere around 8 Mc when I modelled it. Some light Kevlar line to truss the element would probably be necessary.

Hows that sound?

73, VR2BrettGraham