[TowerTalk] RE: [Antennas] coax 'sweet lenght'

To: "'FireBrick'" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,"'TowerTalk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"'Antenna List'" <Antennas@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [Antennas] coax 'sweet lenght'
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:59:44 -0000

> I remember discussion that there was a 'sweet length' for rg8, rg13
coax
> lengths.
> The length was a multiple that gave the best match, etc.
> Or is this the Ham version of 'urban legend'???

Its an urban legend.  The best length to use is one that reaches from
the radio to the antenna.

There are some exceptions if you are counting on the feedline to act as
an impedance transformer... but those should be rare and only in
specifically designed applications.   If you change feedline length and
see a different in swr you have either a bad meter, rf on the feedline,
or one of the lines has higher losses than the other.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net