[TowerTalk] Delta Loop Info and Opinions?

Subject: [TowerTalk] Delta Loop Info and Opinions?
From: David J Rodman MD <>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:12:32 -0400
I have had some experience detuning a tower. In my case, I discovered my tower was acting as a reflector element for my apex up delta loop antenna which was adjacently located. I modeled the system, including the tower and all adjacent structures. By setting the length and azimuthal orientation, I was able to detune the tower, cancel the reflector activity and turn the tower into a director. I added a relay to the system and now can change the pattern at will, depending on directivity required. The relay grounds and ungrounds the wire from the tower. The reason the tower was so interactive was because of the vertical polarization, which is predominent with an apex up loop. You might also consider hanging the apex off a guy line. I have done this too, but to be honest any structure within at least a 1/4 wavelength will be possibly involved in changing patterns. As suggested in other posts, you should model the situation first before making any serious changes. Good luck.