RE: [TowerTalk] Three Fixed Tri-Band Beams on One Tower?

To: "'Todd Coulter'" <coulter@bellsouth.net>,"'Blake M.'" <n4gi@tampabay.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Three Fixed Tri-Band Beams on One Tower?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:15:40 -0400

> From: Todd Coulter
>
>   I have seen the ratings that are on Champion Radio site. They are
> incorrect for some counties. I know this because I had to get my tower
> rated at 140 m.p.h. @ 3 second gust and exposure "C". They need to
> update their site. This is for Dade, Broward, and some other
> counties as well.

If you do some investigating, most building codes specify "fastest mile"
wind speeds (UBC-97, RS-222-C, etc.) see:

      http://k7nv.com/notebook/topics/windload.html

What standard are Dade and Broward counties using?

140 MPH 3 second gust is compatible with a 115 MPH "fastest mile" standard.
115 MPH fastest mile cold easily have some gusts in excess of 140 MPH it is
essentially 115 MPH average over about 33 seconds.

After Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne, anyone in costal Florida counties
should be designing for 140 MPH gusts ... all four hurricanes had recorded
gusts that strong in the landfall areas.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK