RE: [TowerTalk] RE: [Antennas] loax 'sweet lenght'

To: "'Al Williams'" <>,<>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] RE: [Antennas] loax 'sweet lenght'
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:13:25 -0000
> From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <>
> > ... however, if one is using 75 Ohm cable in a 50 Ohm
> > system (e.g., CATV hardline) then the multiple of 1/2 wavelength
> > shows a 1:1 SWR on a 50 Ohm bridge - exactly what is desired.
> >
> > The 75 Ohm cable is operating with a 1.15:1 SWR
> What happens to the swr and feedpoint impedance at the transmitter if
> RESONANT dipole is fed with ladder line?
> Because there is no reactance at the antenna, I presume there is no
> reactance at the transmitter end regardless of line length?

Wrong, if there is a mismatch at the antenna you can get reactance along
the line that varies in sign and magnitude.

> However, does the resistance get tranformed--possibly putting it out
> range of solid state finals?

Possibly, but of course as I said above you also have the reactance
there also.

> How much effect will rain on the line and imbalance of each side of
> line to nearby objects have on the resistance or introduce
> reactance?

Hard to guess.  Rain would probably increase loss which would reduce
effects of antenna mismatch.  Nearby objects could have all kinds of
different effects depending on location and size.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.