[TowerTalk] Speaking of wood supports

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Speaking of wood supports
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:27:58 -0400
The note on using a wood Gin pole jogged a very old memory.

Wayyyy back when I was first licensed, I built a simple A-frame out of 2 X 4s (when they were really 2X4s). It was multiple layers for reinforcement and was about 30 feet tall (as I recollect)

It hadn't been up all that long. Maybe a few weeks when we had a pretty strong wind. Out there in the flat lands there isn't much to slow it up.

I was operating on 75 when I noted a low frequency hum. I couldn't find what was making the noise, but it was one that seemed to penetrate right through me.

I happened to look out the window and saw the A-frame vibrating like a tuning fork. It was moving so fast you could see the standing waves. I was looking right at it when it let go. It sounded like a 12 gage shotgun. The largest piece I found was less than 3 feet long. As I recall, some of those pieces flew over 50 feet.

I don't think I'd want to use wood for a Gin pole except for very light duty.<:-))

--
Roger Halstead (K8RI ARRL Life Member)
Worlds Oldest Debonair (N833R S# CD-2)