Re: [TowerTalk] Re: BPL

To: nj9k <nj9k@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: BPL
From: Larry Phipps <larry@telepostinc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:53:13 -0400
Just as was the case in selling valuable spectrum to the cellular crowd, the government (all parties, all agencies) find it hard to pass up the opportunity to raise money by selling something of value to deep pocketed businesses.
Gives them more money to spend on their pork barrel projects. You can always find pseudo-science to bolster a political agenda.

Larry N8LP

nj9k wrote:

And just maybe we will wind up being labeled as the "NUISANCE" and all the
rules in
the world are  not going to save amateur radio. Follow the "money"!!!

Jim Lux wrote:

From the FCC press release (the R&O isn't online yet... search for
FCC-04-245 tomorrow)

The press release says:

Sets forth rules imposing new technical requirements on BPL devices, such
as the capability to avoid using any specific frequency and to remotely
adjust or shut down any unit;
>>> might be interesting to know the resolution with which this must be
done, and what performance level they expect (skirt steepness, for instance).

Establishes "excluded frequency bands" within which BPL must avoid
operating entirely to protect aeronautical and aircraft receivers
communications; and establishes "exclusion zones" in locations close to
sensitive operations, such as coast guard or radio astronomy stations,
within which BPL must avoid operating on certain frequencies;

>>> Looks like they paid attention to ARINC..

Establishes consultation requirements with public safety agencies, federal
government sensitive stations, and aeronautical stations.

>>> Don't see amateurs here... responding to NTIAs original filing, and
the FEMA, etc. concerns.

Establishes a publicly available Access BPL notification database to
facilitate an organized approach to identification and resolution of
harmful interference.

>>> Be interesting to see how this actually plays out.  The devil is in
the details with this kind of thing.  Is it at the "Company XYZ has
installed Access BPL in Los Angeles County" or is it "P/N xyz S/N abc
installed at Lat/Lon".  There may be a lot of finagling on implementation
here (Homeland security concerns, proprietary rights concerns, update
frequency for the database, etc.)

Changes the equipment authorization for Access BPL systems from
verification to certification; and

>>> this is quite significant... and not good.. verification means they
have to test for compliance. certification means they can just sign a piece
of paper saying, in effect, "designed to meet"

Improves measurement procedures for all equipment that use RF energy to
communicate over power lines.