Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Talk BPL

To: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Talk BPL
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:33:05 -0400
Of course we should all try to be balanced, unbiased, logical and objective in our comments, but achieving such lofty goals evades even the best of us at times.

I wonder why more of us aren't being more patient, maintaining faith in the laws of physics which must eventually triumph over the BPL proponents, be they motivated by political or financial gain... or both.

Isn't it pretty clear by now that BPL simply will not work? I've been hearing and reading that it isn't practicable or cost-effective. That it won't be sufficiently profitable soon enough. That it will be too costly to implement because there are too many technically unworkable aspects to it, and too many problems to solve, and not enough time to solve them. That it will interfere with, or be interfered with by, too many other services and/or products. That it has already failed and been cast aside in some other countries that deployed it, and even in a few places where it was being tested in this country it has been dropped. That there are other competing technologies with greater profit potential and nowhere near the downside of BPL, that are quickly catching up. Or at least that's what I've been hearing from all sorts of really smart people, like many of you here on TT, at the ARRL, etc.

All this has been reported, and all of it together seems to say.... calm down, be patient, get the information out to those who will listen and don't worry about the rest.... the laws of physics are on our side and they are truly non-partisan. So what are we worried about?

73, Jerry K3BZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>