Re: [TowerTalk] BPL -- my ONLY comment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BPL -- my ONLY comment
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:41:59 -0700
I have heard people who seem to know about this stuff
saying that BPL is just a political tool that the commissioners
are using to light a fire under the DSL and CATV people
to extend coverage to underserved areas. The endgame
is to extend broadband coverage by whatever means is
successful in the marketplace. Politically it would be bad for
anyone regardless of political affiliation to publicly oppose
BPL because their political enemies would use it against
them (e.g. "my opponent opposed new technology that could
bring broadband connectivity to millions of homes that are
now only served by dialup"). The argument against BPL is
too technical to be digested by the soundbite media and
the general public (e.g. its more like broadband = good;
dialup = bad). Fortunately, BPL is its own worst enemy. It is
not a good technology. If its presence in the marketplace
motivates the real players to extend broadband service more
quickly, then I suspect it will have served its intended purpose
(at least I hope this is what is behind all of the cheerleading
by the commissioners). After that hopefully it will die a quick
death as it seems to have done in Europe.

I think the best thing we can do as amateurs is support the
ARRL so that they can keep the pressure on the FCC to
act when the inevitable interference cases pop-up as
systems are deployed. The more menacing the regulatory
compliance burden the more likely it will be that BPL providers
will realize early on that they are on a sinking ship and pull
the plug (pun intended).