Re: [TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole
From: Bill Tippett <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:10:30 -0400
K0PYK wrote:
>Has any made a vertical dipole (lets say for 20
meters) where it is end fed with coax.

        Yes but why not use a simple LC matching circuit?
The following circuits work best with a single 1/4 wl
radial counterpoise in addition to the 1/2 wl radiator:

I built the latter faster than it took to read all
the posts about this!

        I've also tried using a Z-match tuner (Emtech ZM-2)
to directly feed a 1/2 wl radiator (no radial) which
worked fine.  However, I wanted to eliminate any tuner
for ultra-lightweight backpack operations.

        Par Electronics offers the following series of
End-Fed 1/2 wave antennas which require NO radial
and NO tuner.  I've been using the EF-20/40 which
works very well with direct feed from my QRP rig.
With the EF-20/40 plus KD1JV's AT Sprint 2, I have a
complete 20/40 station including transceiver, battery,
earphones, paddle and antenna (no tuner needed) that
weighs ~1 lb total.

73, Bill W4ZV