Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain TH-5 Mark I

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain TH-5 Mark I
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:06:11 -0400
I get 225 kHz between 1.4:1 points. 14.3 to 14.075. The entire band is under 1.5:1 with the lowest spot being 1.2:1. Seems to work fine with the legal limit. No loading problems with both the fb and gain seemingly good. I do realize these are not precision measurements, but I'm pleased with the results. Yes, I would like something bigger and broader, but it is doing the job so far.

/ wrote:

Hi Guys:

I just picked up a Hy-Gain TH-5 Mark I in a tower package.  I notice that
the 2:1 bandwidth of this antenna is only about 250 KHz on 20m.  I'm sure
this is why Hy-gain came out with the 2 driven element version in the Mark
II version.

I'm wondering if this is even worth restoring now.  From the yagi gurus out
there, are there any clever ways I might get a bit more bandwidth from the
antenna (even 300 KHz would be better) without any major redesign? I'd like
to use it on phone and cw on 20m.

Frank, W4FMS

Roger Halstead (K8RI ARRL Life Member)
Worlds Oldest Debonair (N833R S# CD-2)