[TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole

Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole
From: Bill Tippett <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:07:33 -0400
Hi George,

On 17 Oct 2004 at 21:27, Bill Tippett wrote:

> It is purely resistive at resonance

K6GT wrote:

Isn't everything?  What I mean is, isn't that the definition of
resonance in this sort of application?  Or is there another
definition I should know?

        At resonance, X is not necessarily zero in R + is
only at a minimum.  From the MFJ manual (W8JI's words I believe):

"RESONANT FREQUENCY is where reactance is zero ohms, or in some
cases as close to zero ohms as the MFJ-259B indicates."

My shunt-fed tower for 160m is an example of the latter.  The
MFJ never indicates zero reactance...I simply tune the series
C for the minimum (which is very low but not zero).

73, Bill W4ZV