[TowerTalk] Analyzer zero reactance

To: <>,"Bill Tippett" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Analyzer zero reactance
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:19:01 -0400
>          At resonance, X is not necessarily zero in R + is
> only at a minimum.  From the MFJ manual (W8JI's words I
> "RESONANT FREQUENCY is where reactance is zero ohms, or in
> cases as close to zero ohms as the MFJ-259B indicates."

That wording is included for two reasons:

The analyzer is susceptible to external voltages. As little
as a few millivolts external voltage can make the analyzer
not read zero.

There also can be calibration problems. (For a period of
time every analyzer was actually calibrated incorrectly.)

Reactance should be zero at resonance but the meter might
not dip to zero fully.

73 Tom

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.