RE: [TowerTalk] Windlass suggestions needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Windlass suggestions needed
From: "Mike Murphy" <wa4bpj@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:36:36 -0400
Tom,
I designed my own winch just for doing tower work. It?s a cable on drum
design, not capstan. My principal safety concern was the operator feedback
that an integrated motorized design lacks. When 3 or 4 experienced guys are
pulling a rope and the tension begins to mount, they know to stop while the
source of the bind is found and corrected. The first indication of a problem
with a conventional powered winch may be when something breaks. My solution
was to drive the winch with a hand drill. When the operator feels an
increase in the drill?s counter torque, he knows to stop while the source of
the bind is found and corrected. I?ve been using this design for nearly 10
years and have found it quite satisfactory. I usually have the winch about
the tower height away from the base of the tower and positioned to give the
operator a clear view of all the work.

73,
Mike, WA4BPJ