Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage
From: Doug Renwick <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:00:37 -0600
My experience differs...properly sized thrust bearing side screws ARE used
to support the weight of the mast and antennas at my QTH.  I have not had
any adverse reactions from using this method and it certainly simplifies
the process when having to change out a rotor.  Care must be taken when
using the words "never" and "always".

Doug wrote:

  So both are sharing the loads.  Also, the thrust bearing side screws are only
  used to center the mast in the bearing; they are never used to hold the weight
  of the assembly.  To change out the rotator I'll either use a come-a-long
  of the tower and jack up the mast or use a scissors jack on the top plate and
  jack up against the antenna boom to mast plate.  Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY

-- Doug Renwick VA5DX PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0 First VE5 9BDXCC What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet forfeits his soul? I'll run the race and I will never be the same again.