[TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete
From: "Mike Switzer" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:53:04 -0400

I would not use concrete to stabilize the 4x4s.  Use pressure treated
timbers (PT) with pee gravel.  This is how many decks are built.  Dig a hole
to depth, 4' sound like more than enough.  Put a couple of inches of pee
gravel in the bottom. Put the timber in the hole and plumb and brace the
timber.  Fill the hole around the timber with a few inches of pee gravel.
Tamp the gravel well around the timber and repeat until the hole if full.
This accomplishes both stability and allows water to drain away from the
timber.  I put a 10' timber in the ground using the method above.  I then
attached a 16' timber to the 10' with 3 carriage bolts.  I can remove the
upper and lower bolts and swing the timber down to untangle the tether if

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.