[TowerTalk] Help Hustler 6 BTV problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help Hustler 6 BTV problem
From: gerry scott <fjx1@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:55:56 -0400
  Hope someone can figure this out.  just put up a 6BTV and have strange
problem. I know it's a compromise for 30, 40 and 80 but have no other option
and I've used them before when I had to.

It works fine on 10,15 , 20 and 40 1:1 SWR. ON 30 the SWR is 3:1 across the
band. Changing FREQ doesn't change the SWR. On 80 it's about 7:1 . I tried from
3500 kHz to 4000Khz and the SWR does not change. Ground mounted with radials.
It doesn't seem like it just needs pruning, it's way off. I called Hustler and
they said change the trap dimensions on 30 where 1/4 of an inch will change it
5000Khz! I did that and saw no change? Trap looks OK but Hustler wont let me
touch it with soldering iron, they say it voids warranty. I said even though
ohmmeter shows good, it could still be cold joint, they just look it over only.
It "looks" OK. I checked my measurements 6 times and no go and 30 and 80.
Hustler said it I dint have 30 I shouldn't have 40,,BUT I do. I'm at a loss.
Can you think of a cause? It doesn't pay for me to send a 30 meter trap to
Hustler they charge me both ways and that may not even be it. Their tech
support knows some things but didn't seem to know what a trap really does.

Please give any ideas you have to help  Thank you very much.

Gerry