RE: [TowerTalk] AlphaSpid and Thrust Bearings

To: 'Bill Turini' <wtu@cypress.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] AlphaSpid and Thrust Bearings
From: "Markhasin, Vitaly" <Vitaly.Markhasin@UE-1.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:51:59 -0600
I never look at vertical load capacity numbers because I never load the
rotator with weight of mast and antennas.

I use (as probably most of HAMs) two bearings. Top thrust bearing is made of
a bearing used for front wheel of the bus.
Find a shop at the bus depot. After a certain number of miles they replace
them. The old one goes into the garbage.
They are conical roller bearings and at our speeds of rotation and loads
will last for next 1000 years...
Yes, you would have to then braise the base to the 1/4" steel plate and weld
a housing with sleeve for the mast and collar
to prevent from moisture getting into the bearing. They will rust. I pack
them with low temperature grease and they work
for years without any problems.

About 5 feet below I put another much lighter bearing and below it the
rotator. My masts are chrom-moly and their weight and
antenna's are supported with no vertical load on rotator.

Between the mast and rotator I also put about 20-30' pipe (it can be any
light pipe, the longer the better). It is to absorb a little the torque to
the rotator
at windy conditions.

73! Vitaly (VE6JO)