Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:55:59 -0400
> Where I live there are many barns made exactly this way.
Pressure
> treated 4X4s 4' deep and a 3 bag mix seems to be the
standard.  Some of
> these barns are huge and many have been up for many many
years.  Should
> work just fine.

A barn (or deck or whatever) doesn't put any significant
side load on the wood.
Buildings and other structures (outside of tornados and
hurricanes) basically only push downwards. They also shield
the concrete/wood junction from water.

This doesn't relate at all to a piece of wood with nearly
all side load and very little vertical load or compression
(weight) that is directly exposed to weather 24/7.

73 Tom