[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Corrosion Question 1

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Corrosion Question 1
From: "Michael Rosenberg" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:56:32 -0500
"The reason behind these questions is very simple; there is no source for
compiling this information. The AnchorGaurd website is an excellent site and
have had several conversations with them. ( I recommend their product) They
branch of Sioux Falls Towers and they went into business after a collapse of

a tower with workers on it. Also, they have some excellent pictures and one
of the tower I found the corroded guy anchor rod on. It is the Morton, IL
site and is mislabeled and shown twice on their web site. Seeing a 300+
ROHN tower on the ground in person is a religious experience. What really
bothered me about the Morton site was its close proximity to the freeway. If
had fallen the other direction it would have gone across IH74. That's not
The reason for asking the Contesting group is that your towers are closer to

houses where people are. It maybe that these towers are not as prone to
collapse as the commercial towers for several reasons. One is that they have
base and not a pinned base. Second, they may have two sets of anchors or a
combination of both. There is no one keeping track of this information and
hopefully we can get a feel for the magnitude of the problem and if it is a
problem. I also need similar information on commercial sites too.
I have been collecting information on this problem for some time and over
next few weeks I will releasing some of this interesting info to you and
asking discussion questions. It should be very educational. The pros will
as well educated.
Mark Johnson
Tower2sell at"
I am an old PiROD person myself.  I would look to the NATE (National
Association of Tower Erectors) website to get their membership roles and
pole those guys.  It is the tower erector on the commercial side who will be
the customer for a non-destructive testing procedure as it will allow them
to build a reoccurring source of maintenance revenue.
To gather some market potential, download the FAA tower database and sort it
by age and location.  Coastal installations I am guessing would be better
candidates in general.
Just some thoughts.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.