[TowerTalk] MFJ analyzer woes

Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ analyzer woes
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:14:04 +0000
Regarding the problem with the MFJ swr analyzer, I noticed something interesting with mine a few weeks ago (I own the 259 or is it 269? the one with UHF coverage) when I was using it to tune my transmatch on my open wire feed to my horiz. loop. At night I was unable to tune the transmatch below a 1.4:1 swr and the analyzer showed around 10 to 20 ohms reactance. I normally can tune the matching network so the rig sees a nice 50 ohm load with no reactance, i.e. 1:1. I went ahead and operated figuring there was just something goofy outside like a lot of water on the line and in the daytime the problem was gone. Over time, I noticed this problem correlated with a relatively new (now gone) presence of 20 db over 9 line noise all over the HF spectrum which I had been temporarily getting rid of with a noise blanker pending time to find it.
If you have a big antenna and some powerful nearby source of HF RF junk, this might be throwing your analyzer off and making it give you a false reading, i.e. the problem doesn't have to be a mw bc station.

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security.