RE: [TowerTalk] Bad e-mail address

To: "'Chuck Gooden'" <>,<>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Bad e-mail address
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:55:32 -0500

> I'm confused...What difference does it make whether he subscribed
> from the address or an alias.  The admistrator should still
> be able to delete him from the subscription list.

The MailMan software does not know about the alias and thus the
administrator CAN NOT FIND the "bad" address.  For example, if
I used the alias and had it pointed to
then cancelled "" but failed to unsubscribe from this list, any postings would be sent to ""
The ARRL.NET server will strip "" from the header of the
mailing list messages, substitute "" and send the
message along.

Unfortunately, when receives the message for user "my_email"
it finds that account does not exist and sends an error message to the
originator of the e-mail which, in this case, is the person who posted

Even if the errors went to the list administrator, the administrator
could do nothing about them since the list administrator has no way
of knowing which e-mail address (it doesn't necessarily have to be an address, there are other alias servers) is the alias for the
bad address.

   ... Joe, K4IK

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.