Re: [TowerTalk] Bead chokes on feedlines; K3LR array

To: "Tom Rauch" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bead chokes on feedlines; K3LR array
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:26:32 -0500
My problem is that I don't know enough to know how to go about making that judgment -- can you offer any suggestions?
Are you suggesting that I might put the chokes at the switchbox end instead, or elsewhere? I already have a choke where my feedline enters the house, so I think this has more to do with the antenna's performance than with common mode problems in the house.

73, Pete N4ZR

At 03:31 PM 11/8/2004, Tom Rauch wrote:

> When I built this array, I put 50-bead chokes at each
feedpoint, thinking
> that I would help suppress common mode currenst and
thereby avoid any
> destructive interaction with the antenna pattern.  Now,
however, Tom makes
> me wonder if this is useful at all, given that the
feedlines are in the
> very near field of the dipoles anyway.  Would I be just as
well off to
> eliminate the chokes altogether, or do they serve a useful
> assuming they are of the right material and have enough
inductance to do
> the job?

If the feedlines parallel the elements, I'd sure look close
at what the baluns do and where they are located.