[TowerTalk] Gap Titan Vertical - ground mount vs. roof mount

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gap Titan Vertical - ground mount vs. roof mount
From: "Walt Slazyk (KF2XN)" <kf2xn@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:22:30 -0500
Greetings to all members,
I have just re-joined the reflector after a couple of years.
Am planning to furlough my tilt-over EZ-Way tower with its 4-element quad
just for the winter. Too much worry & aggravation having to frequently crank
down and tilt over for risky icy condx, high winds, freezing rain, etc. (I
live in the Buffalo, NY area on an island in the middle of the Niagara River
that connects Lakes Erie and Ontario) Winters here can be harsh. I have
suffered a few costly and heart-breaking antenna nightmares in winters gone
by. Needless to say, I want to go to a simple multi band vertical to keep me
on the air for the winter while the tower and quad lay safely on the ground.
The Gap Titan seems like a decent DX stick for the buckage. The question is
whether to ground mount or roof mount for optimum DX performance, if such a
thing can possibly exist after being used to a 4-element quad. hihi. Any
feedback related to mounting this winter stand-in or general comments about
the Gap Titan Vertical will be appreciated.

Thanks to all for reading
Walt Slazyk
KF2XN
Grand Island, NY