[TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock

Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:44:24 +0000
I went to Home Despot yesterday to pick up a few little odds and ends for my next antenna project. About 9 months ago, their 5/8" 8 foot long ground rods were going for around 8 dollars. Now they are up to 14 bucks! The 10 foot long 3/4 inch rods are around twenty. They were $12 or so a few months ago. I can only guess the copper for the cladding got real expensive since I have heard copper has gone up but this is almost double the old price.

The general cost of hardware is unreal. I bought just a few little nut and bolt type items--a file and handle for it, some cable ties, heat shrink tubing, drill bit, the rod, couple of clamps and a 10' long pvc pipe. I prepared for the shock (I figured the total would be more than I expected--it always is) so since I figured all this should be $25 I prepared for $35. When the clerk rang it all up, it came to 49 bucks!! It has gotten to the point that even a simple little basic antenna is an investment. thanks for letting me vent.

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security.