Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock

To: N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:34:29 -0500
The Wireman's price is $12 plus shipping, of course.

73, Joe

Dan Bookwalter wrote:

Rob

also make sure and check with you local electrical
supply house... here in central ohio the local
electrical people will do almost anything to beat
Lowes and Home Depot...

good luck

Dan N8DCJ
--- "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com> wrote:

I went to Home Despot yesterday to pick up a few
little odds and ends for my next antenna project. About 9 months ago, their
5/8" 8 foot long ground rods were going for around 8 dollars. Now they are
up to 14 bucks! The 10 foot long 3/4 inch rods are around twenty. They
were $12 or so a few months ago. I can only guess the copper for the cladding
got real expensive since I have heard copper has gone up but this is almost
double the old price.

The general cost of hardware is unreal. I bought
just a few little nut and bolt type items--a file and handle for it, some
cable ties, heat shrink tubing, drill bit, the rod, couple of clamps and a
10' long pvc pipe. I prepared for the shock (I figured the total would be
more than I expected--it always is) so since I figured all this
should be $25 I prepared for $35. When the clerk rang it all up, it came to
49 bucks!! It has gotten to the point that even a simple little basic
antenna is an investment. thanks for letting me vent.
73,
rob/k5uj

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer
virus scan from McAfee® Security.