RE: [TowerTalk] shorty forty

To: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>, "'gary'" <ve7dxq@shaw.ca>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] shorty forty
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:30:40 -0500
Well, this is a little categorical, I think, even though I would agree on the XM-240 as the better choice. It's a lot "straighter-forward" than the F12. The problem is that the EF-240X and EF-240S each consist of two identical elements. The only difference between them is the position of the shorting bars, and just setting them to cookbook dimensions doesn't work well because there are too many possible physical variations (tension of loading wires, attachment of shorting bars, etc.). That means that it is entirely possible to wind up with no F/B or even a reverse situation (been there, done that). You really need to tune these antennas in real time using a signal source a few hundred feet away, adjusting the shorting bars on the reflector to bring the F/B peak to the frequency where you want it.

On the other hand, either the X or S versions are a lot lighter and easier to handle on the tower than the XM-240. My "S" works quite well, now that I have it tuned, and there's no reason the "X", once tuned, shouldn't be close to the XM-240 in performance.

I was just visiting a friend yesterday who is putting up a new XM-240. He had a lot to say about lousy quality control and errors in the instructions, but the basic antenna should be a fine performer, since it is electrically almost identical to the 40-2CD, though mechanically much superior, and cookbook dimensions do seem to work fine.

73, Pete N4ZR