Re: [TowerTalk] I have a really stupid question (baluns and ununs)

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] I have a really stupid question (baluns and ununs)
From: "jerryc" <jerryc@clinchrivercorp.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:45:27 -0500
Rob
Seems most people using a UNUN (myself included) are using it to transform
the 50 ohm feedline to match a low or high Z (but resonant) antenna such as
a ground
mounted vertical or inverted L.  I used a short (12" long) section of rg213
from the UNUN to
the antenna (about 20 ohms at the feedpoint of my 160m inverted L).
Impedence at the end of a
coax cable depends not only on the impedence of the cable but the frequency
versus wavelength.
Remember the old saying:    1/4 wave transforms, 1/2 wave repeats.
Anything in between will depend
on the wavelength.
Don't worry about stupid questions....watch out for stupid answers (like
mine)..HI..HI.
JerryC
KC8TES