Re: [TowerTalk] shorty forty

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shorty forty
From: "David Thompson" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:18:36 -0500
I have an older Cushcraft 2 el 40 and it uses a 10 turn loop of coax as a
balun (called a Collins balun in some books).   I set it to mid band and its
1.2 at 7170 and 1.7 at 7005 and 1.6 at 7298.  None of my amps or
have power turn down.   My Ft 920 has a built in tuner and it takes less
than a second to tune it at either end.

VE6WZ is right the antenna is tuned for mid band but Front to back peaks
below that.  Its down for repairs right now but I compete well with the 3 el
Telrex and 4El KLM.  Several have bought the same beam because mine plays so
well.  Its the best investment I have ever made in a beam.

Wish I could find some thing for 80 that worked as well.

73 Dave K4JRB

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.