Re: [TowerTalk] dump power?

To: <k1ttt@arrl.net>, "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dump power?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:26:37 -0500
> At 11:51 AM 11/17/2004 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
> >It's also very important to add the ideal current
> >distribution in  unidirectional arrays is NOT when power
> >distribution is equal.

note the words "in an array like this".

>>As a matter of fact, optimum
> >distribution in an array like this is NEVER when power is
> >equal, and it is NEVER when element impedances are equal.

> Careful when you use absolutes like NEVER... One can spend
a bit of time
> arguing what "optimum" might mean,

That's true. I should have anticipated someone in the world
might actually want a poorly focused pattern with shallow
nulls, or have a 4-square where the loss is so high the
mutuals are unimportant. I actually have an array like that.
It has -20dBi gain, and a wonderful pattern shape and each
feedline is fed equal power.