Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4Square Comtek box

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4Square Comtek box
From: Jan Erik Holm <>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:06:30 +0100
Yes, I forgot about the WX0B box. I now will rephrase my
statement like this:
People with a lot of money will buy the WX0B box, uses
the W7EL current forcing method, which is a good method.
People with less money will buy the Comtek box, uses 3-dB
Hybrid coupler, not a perfect method.
People (LIKE ME) with even less money can build a W7EL
unit by themself, it takes time but it´s interesting IMHO.
No offence I just want to point out different options.

73, I will now crawl back under the rock, Jim SM2EKM

Yo3ctk wrote:

1) different principles: the Comtek box use hybrids to achieve +90/0/-90 degrees of phasing, whereas WX0B use a lumped elements network
2) price: WX0B is abt. 3x more expensive

Array Solutions argues that their box is superior because there is no dumped power; it has been reported here that "wasted" power (for Comtek boxes) is between 0 to 10%, so maybe not so significant (although 10% power is 1dB).

73 de Mike, YO3CTK

----- Original Message ----- From: "R. Kevin Stover" <>