[TowerTalk] Tower Installation

To: Tower Talk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>,Antennas <antennas@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:41:19 -0800
I am at the final stages of my tower installation. The hole digging, concrete work, grounding, etc, have been done by a professional cel phone tower installer who does ham towers as a sideline.
My tower is a crank up with a tilt over feature. Could anyone suggest a book, manual, or web site that shows how to loop coax and rotor control lines on crank ups? The tower came with coax stand offs at each tower section for this purpose. What is the preferred method of attaching cables to these stand offs? How do you determine how large of a loop to use? I realize I could fully crank up the tower then climb it and attach the cables to the stand offs but I would prefer to do this with the tower cranked down and folded over. To accomplish this I need to know how large of a loop to use at the junction of each 12 ft section when it is cranked down and folded over.
Since professional cel towers do not crank down nor fold over my installer does not have experience with this and would have to use a trial and error method to make the loops. I would expect there are persons on this reflector who know how to make these calculations.
TIA & 73

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY