Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some tower advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some tower advice
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:04:32 -0500
I don't yet have a tower but have been looking at the AN Wireless ones. They do mention a hinged mounting plate (no price stated; depends on what is required). These are freestanding towers and come in multiples of 10 feet.

http://www.anwireless.com

HTH

Alan NV8A

On 11/19/04 12:29 am Jim Aguirre put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

I'm relocating to a new QTH soon and will be putting up a couple of new towers. My first priority is to get a modest tower up alongside the house to carry VHF/UHF and Microwave antennas...6M through 23CM. The second...and, possibly, third...tower(s) can come a bit later.

I will be purchasing new towers, so have some choices to make regarding styles, material (aluminum or steel) and options. Here are some of the criteria I have in mind for the first tower.

I'm looking for something about 50' in height, 15-20 square foot antenna capacity, freestanding (don't want guy wires cluttering up the yard), tiltover design of some sort for easy antenna work. Not necessary to be telescoping unit, but could be.

I've been looking at a couple of possibilities: a 55' US Tower tubular (MA-550MDP) with freestanding, rotatable base or a 48' Heights aluminum tower (Model 48-23-90) with "foldover" base. While the US Tower unit wouldn't carry 15-20 sq ft of antenna extended, it could do so retracted. Heights offers a 48-footer rated at 23 sq ft in 90 MPH wind.

I will probably need at least 12' of mast above the top ot the tower on which to stack the antennas. With the rotatable tubular, that doesn't look like a problem; not sure with the Heights tower.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.