Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Aluminum Tower

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Aluminum Tower
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:07:17 -0500
w7dhc@centurytel.net wrote:
I have used several products like Durafix and they are definitely NOT for structural use or for inexperienced users. I am an experienced welder and have had a difficult time making ANY of these products work as advertised. They are extremely sensitive to proper heating, application timing and cleanliness of the material to be joined.

I do NOT recommend them for something as critical as a tower repair. The other responses I've seen were right on...take your tower to an EXPERIENCED aluminum welder and have the job done by a pro.

Based on the many negative posts re self-repair and the one suggesting that a tower with breached welds may be in self-destruct mode (though
it may also only mean that it was improperly handled, could be new and
have damaged welds), I will reconsider the purchase.

Hiring-out the welding would drive the cost of the tower (presuming it
is not structurally compromised due to age and stress) out of the budget when the weld repairs are factored in.

-- Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e West Central Florida 100% Linux. Suse 9.2 Drake, Icom, Hallicrafters, Heathkit, TenTec, Yaesu Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/ Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ _______________________________________________