Re: [TowerTalk] Halogen Bulbs - 1.8 Mhz RFI

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Halogen Bulbs - 1.8 Mhz RFI
From: "Jim Lux" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:59:04 -0800
From: "Jim Brown" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 12:16 PM

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:46:07 -0500, Floyd Sense wrote:
> >I doubt that there is much you can do to silence them.
> I agree that there are probably switching supplies causing the problem,
> but I wouldn't give up on fixing the problem without trying.
> There are three basic ways the RF can get out -- on the power line
> wiring, on the low voltage wiring to the lamps, and direct radiation from
> the power supply if it is unshielded.  Direct radiation you probably can't
> fix except by replacing the supply. A standard, good power line filter
> should eliminate what is coming via the power line, and a multi-turn
> choke around a big ferrite, possibly in combination with a capacitive
> should be able to kill what is on the low voltage wiring.
> You will need at least 8 turns around the typical big toroids to make an
> effective choke for 1.8 MHz. That choke should also work on 80 meters,
> but may be running out of effectiveness by 40 meters and above.
> 73,
> Jim Brown  K9YC

Depending on where the noise is coming from, a common mode filter
(i.e.running a bunch of turns of the twoconductor wire through a ferrite)
might not help a lot. You might need a decent differential mode
choke/capacitor filter on the output of the low voltage supply. Put the
choke first (so the capacitive load doesn't screw up the switching

Also, if you have a LV halogen scheme with the two "rails" from which the
lamps hang, the rails can serve as a nice radiator of differential mode

By the way, if the halogen power supply is a low voltage device, it would
need to comply with EN55011 (the EU equivalent of Part 15). Perhaps the
problem is really that the halogen supply isn't working to spec?

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.