Re: [TowerTalk] Another Tailtwister question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Another Tailtwister question
From: Roger D Johnson <>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:39:06 -0500
Jim Lux wrote:
At 04:31 PM 11/29/2004 -0600, Bill Aycock wrote:

Barry- I think the Cap is really a phase control in the reversing circuit, not a starting Cap.. The value may be more critical than for starting. Check the manual.

At 06:49 PM 11/29/2004 +0000, Barry wrote:

Tnx for all the responses about my stuck rotor.  Of course, today, it
is working just fine! However, I thought I'd replace the motor
starting cap anyway, as it is 14 years old.

The original cap is rated 130-156 mfd.  Is the value critical?  I
have a motor starting cap here that's 88-108 mfd.  Is that close
Barry W2UP--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet:

Hi Barry....

Many TailTwister user mount the capacitor at the rotor end. Electrical
supply houses carry the caps, mounting bracket and weatherproof cover.
This frees up two wires in the control cable which may be paralled with
other wires to increase voltage to motor or brake.
BTW the motor is a 2 phase unit and the capacitor is switched from one
phase to the other to provide phase shift for CW or CCW rotation.

73, Roger
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)