Re: [TowerTalk] elevated short vertical dipole or quarterwavemonopole?

To: "Michael Harris" <>,"Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated short vertical dipole or quarterwavemonopole?
From: "Jim Lux" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:01:10 -0800
From: "Michael Harris" <>
To: "Jim Lux" <>; "Towertalk" <>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated short vertical dipole or quarterwave

> G'day,
> <snipo>
> | Here's an interesting optimization question..
> |
> <snipo>
> I use a 30 foot vertical with the base 3 feet off the ground on 30M.  This
> is too long on 30M so the vertical is brought onto resonance with a pair
> of shortened radials.  The radials are gull wing style, now the standard
> for DXpeditions using vert on the beach.

Indeed, verticals are the hot ticket for beach locations, but that's a
somewhat atypical ground.

 The radials slope up from the
> base of the vert at 45 degrees to a height of 6 feet then horizontal.

So yours is basically a "ground plane" vertical... a 1/4 wave (or shorter,
but loaded) over some relatively small number of elevated radials.

> My vert cost me about $100, x6 for the Force-12 40M offering.

Ahh, but Force-12 gives you finely machined hunks of aluminum, a cardboard
box to ship it in, and (presumably) stainless steel hardware; and, of
course, someone else did all the machining and parts kitting.  Plus it
provides work for welders and machinists in central California.

> Regards,
> Mike VP8NO
> Stanley.
Jim, W6RMK