Re: [TowerTalk] elevated short vertical dipole or quarterwavemonopole?

To: "Al Williams" <>,"Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated short vertical dipole or quarterwavemonopole?
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:50:05 -0500
> I have difficulty in understanding or accepting the notion
of "ground
> losses--...wasted power heating the earth, etc..."
> I have no problem with using a dc, ac, or rf resistance
meter to measure
> between two earth points, but radio waves striking the
earth, I dunno!
> What follows is what is puzzling; maybe someone can help
answer them.

Well, anytime an EM wave is reflected or absorbed there are
charges moving in the media. The same is true for
time-varying electric and magnetic fields, not just EM
radiation. You don't need an electrical connection to earth
to make charges move.

When charges move in a lossy media it converts useful energy
into useless heat.

If that didn't happen, signals would be much stronger at
long distances and low antennas would be a whole lot more

73 Tom

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.