Re: [TowerTalk] radials for shunt fed tower

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] radials for shunt fed tower
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:32:20 -0500
> I have been using my shunt fed tower for 160 with
satsisfactory results. I
> have between 20 and 30 radials of about 130 ft. I recently
added a second
> and separate shunt feed for 80 meters and plan to add
additional radials.
> Which would be more beneficial cutting additional radials
to ~65 ft or ~130
> ft?

Every actual measurement I've seen has indicated when more
than a few radials are used adding short radials between
long ones is a waste of wire. Same for ground screens, no
need for one when adequate radials are used.

I wouldn't bend over backwards over-engineering a radial
system since the least accurate and most variable place to
collect data or model antennas is when wires are placed near
earth. That's a fact!

With more wires just make them as long as you can in every
direction, and absolutely no need to go closer than .025WL
at the wire's open end.

73 Tom

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.