[TowerTalk] Multi Band Antenna Query

Subject: [TowerTalk] Multi Band Antenna Query
From: ABowenN4OO <>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:52:00 -0500
I am considering a backup plus portable antenna. After some research and a lot of rationalization, I have decided that an MFJ AV640 will take care of my modest requirements. I owned an R7 Cushcraft some years ago, which worked reasonably well at about 8 ft off ground, but exhibited SWR changes if you elevated it higher or lower. It also did not like high power, over about 500 W.

Anyone have comment or counsel on the AV 640? It appears to be free of the traps that gave problems when high power was applied to the R7. In any event, I probably would not run more than 200 W into the 640; even less with portable operation.

It is somewhat cheaper than the competing "no radial" equivalents.

Comments solicited.