Re: [TowerTalk] Additonal Comm Port

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Additonal Comm Port
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:37:47 -0600
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:44:35 -0500, Jerry Muller wrote:

>Another option you can use is to add a USB-COM adapter. They cost less than
>10 bucks and work just fine.

Not always, and not always reliably. Also, there are timing issues associated
with USB to
serial that can cause certain software not to work with them at all. A Belkin
unit borrowed
from KK9H to try crashed my W2K machine, even WITH the latest drivers.

The PCMCIA cards are much more expensive, but they seem to be far more
reliable. I use
one made by Quatech (in Ohio, they've been around for quite a while, buy from
their
website) to control and key my radios. No known issues.

Jim Brown  K9YC