Re: [TowerTalk] Discone Radiation Angle ?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Discone Radiation Angle ?
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:08:23 -0800
At 10:05 AM 12/13/2004, wrote:
I have not gotten into antenna modleing enough to have done this, but does a
antenna have a low radiation angle or not?  I don't think I have ever heard
of anyone
actually using one on HF.

Doug N4IJ

There was an article a while back in QST, or an antenna compendium, or the antenna book describing an HF discone (skirt of many radials from tall pole, etc.)
There have been some radio telescopes built with discones and other similar frequency independent antennas.

It's a vertically polarized antenna, and one would expect it to have radiation patterns much like any other vertically polarized antenna of similar size. One virtue of discones is that they are wideband.

This virtue is less useful for ham applications, where the bands are fairly limited, and the modulation even more so. One can achieve essentially the same radiation efficiency with a much smaller antenna (i.e. some form of vertical) with low loss tuned circuits to get the feedpoint impedances right.