Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Center Insulator

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Center Insulator
From: "Tower" <tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:55:15 -0500
You still need to waterproof the end of the coax even if it's pointed down. The braid will "wick" water up into the cable and the cable still "breathes" with changes in temperature and pressure. True, like a drip loop it keeps the water from running down the coax. <:-))

As my center insulators all have either a balun or choke I still end up using connectors.

Besides, I always want a way to disconnect them easily without having to resort to a soldering iron or wire cutters.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Maybe I am missing something here? Why would anyone want to use a center connector on a dipole with a PL259 coax connector? Seems like you create a lot more problems keeping water out of the coax with that kind of connector hanging out there. And you pay money for it.
Why not use a regular center insulator with the coax wrapped a turn around it where the end of the coax is pointing down.

73
Gary K4FMX

Pete Smith wrote:
The Budwig RF-1 gets my vote. I use 4 of them in an 80m wire array that has very high tension on the center insulator. 7 years so far with no sign of a problem from them.

Cheap, too

73, Pete N4ZR