Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling wire

To: "Terry Gerdes" <terry@ab5k.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling wire
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:12:40 -0500
Terry:

     If water gets into your conduits (and there's nothing typically that we
hams do to prevent that from happening), then more water will get in later.
And more after that, etc.  Unless your coax jacketing material is
direct-buriable, then you ought to provide some means of draining the
condensation.

     I suggest holes in the low points of the conduit.  But don't stop
there.  Dig a small pit beneath the holes (easier if you do this BEFORE the
conduit is buried) and fill the pit with gravel or small stones a' la Rohn.
The drained water will then percolate into the ground away from the conduit
and make room for more water inside.

     One final step:  To keep life forms from taking refuge inside the
conduit via the holes, wrap the conduit at the holes with flower bed
screening - the stuff used to keep weeds down in flower beds.  Tie the
material in place with stiff wire pieces.

     Ain't towers fun?

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  Merry Christmas to all!