Re: [TowerTalk] Heathkit HD-1250

To: "Juhani Viitala" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heathkit HD-1250
From: Bill Coleman <>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:58:22 -0500

On Dec 26, 2004, at 5:40 AM, Juhani Viitala wrote:

Has anyone experience to improve the output of Heathkit HD-1250 grid dip meter?

I've had very little luck trying to use my HD-1250 dipper. (Technically, it is a gate dipper, since it uses a FET) I did have some hygain traps from a AV-14 that dipped nicely, but my Cushcraft A3S traps would not dip at all.

I think the HD-1250 needs tighter coupling to get a good dip than some older tube-type dip meters.

It looks to be very difficult to use it when tuning the shunt fet tower.

For my 80m shut feed on a 15m tower, I used an MFJ-259. Much easier than trying to use a dip meter.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901